Tuesday, May 24, 2011

BURGERS AND ZUCCHINI FRIES

I like burgers with stuff in them... Breadcrumbs, eggs, onion soup mix, bbq sauce, mustard... That's how my mom used to make them, so that's how I learned to make them. I can't remember what tv chef said that burgers made with stuff other than ground beef and seasoning are not burgers, but meatloaf sandwiches. I guess that's about right. But I like meatloaf sandwiches! 


These are not meatloaf sandwiches. Definitely burgers, as my husband prefers his burger patties thin, and pure beef. I still like to impart big flavor to the patties, using my secret weapon: Clubhouse Rub Marinade. I guess that stuff is made to slather on steak, but mix in a big spoonful into ground beef, shape into patties, flip onto the grill and you have some mighty tasty burgers. Doesn't hurt that my husband is a pro at grilling burgers.

Mine featured, from the bottom up, mayo, lettuce, diced onion, tomato, pepper jack cheese, meat patty, sweet pickles, honey mustard and ketchup. It was delicious.

Alongside the burgers, I made zucchini fries that I had seen on one of the food gallery sites not too long ago. For the effort, and the lack of massive amounts of fat, these were surprisingly good. The breadcrumbs added a little crunch, the zucchini were fresh and sweet, not too mushy like they sometimes are when they are fried in batter. Doesn't hurt that I was dipping them in sriracha sauce mixed with mayo. My newest favorite dipping sauce. So good! Anyways, a nice side dish that I'll be making again... And maybe next time, I'll be able to get my daughter to eat a few pieces. 


Baked Zucchini Fries
Recipe adapted from une deux senses

3 medium zucchini, sliced into sticks
1 large egg white
salt
fresh pepper
1/3 cup bread crumbs
2 tsp garlic seasoning
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
olive oil spray

Preheat the oven to 425 F. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, place the breadcrumbs, seasoning and cheese; shake well. Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil and set aside. Dip the zucchini sticks into the egg and then place into the bread crumb and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with some pizza sauce or ranch dressing for dipping.


Yeah, I know, kind of ordinary as a first post for this new blog. I had to ease into it gently! This picture taking is going to take some getting used to. My daughter had already finished half of her burger by the time I sat down to eat mine. In any case, I thought this zucchini fries recipe was worth sharing! 

1 comment:

  1. Your pics are amazing! That is definitely the hardest part of being a food blogger. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for visiting! Feel free to let me know what you think, or what you're up to! I love comments!